Thursday, October 8, 2009

Baby Hastings, 8 weeks


Baby Hastings, 8 weeks. Taken September 28th. It looks like a little peanut! We are so excited and terrified at the same time. It's true that after the elation of finding out you are pregnant, all the reality fears set in. For instance, am I gonna be a good parent? Can we afford for me not to work? Can we afford daycare if I do go back to work? How are we gonna do this? What name are we gonna pick? Is everything gonna be okay? Is the baby healthy? Have I eaten anything that will hurt it? When I dyed my hair a few months ago, was I pregnant then, and did I hurt the baby? Its amazing the questions that pop into your head!
Since I am Type 1 diabetic, ironically, some of those fears are eased each month when I get to see my child grow and develop. High risk pregnancies get monthly ultrasounds, and more testing that almost eases the fears that are truly beyond my control. I have learned that as long as I do what I am supposed to, eat right, exercise, and control my blood sugars, I have almost nothing to worry about. At least not anymore than any other mom-to-be. The monthly ultrasounds help too, since I can see monthly that my child is okay. The other worries will eventually fade, I hope!